Want to be an attorney? Surely, enrollment in a law school is on the cards but the most important part of all of this is the stint at the law firms doing legal internships. These internship programs are imperative as they provide the student with a variety of diverse options to choose from. There was a time when completion of the law school would have been enough. But with the modernism creeping into our daily lives, legal cases are becoming complex day by day. The cases are full of intrigue and it is worthwhile to see how you tackle them in real life as an attorney during your legal assistant internship.
As a person seeking legal assistant jobs, you can get to know a lot of opportunities into the legal fields such as:
- Judicial clerkships - These are internships for the people who want to work in the federal courts as judges later in their life. They begin their journey into appellate and trial courts. These positions require intensive research skills and in-depth analysis of the cases.
- Legal clinics - These are clinics within the law school where students go and practice their learning. This is an opportunity into legal assistant internship only for the second and third year students to use the theory in practical life like situations. Such people can work as human rights activists or attorneys in juvenile rehabilitation etc.
- Summer clerkships - These are the most coveted of all kinds of legal internships abroad. Hence, there is a lot of completion to get to do them. Only the most extraordinarily brilliant students get to go there and work with the reputed firms in the country.
- Legal externships – These are the programs outside the campus of law school.
- Pro bono projects - The meaning of "Pro Bono" is for the benefit of the people. These projects are basically for the minority communities and the less privileged people. Many of the law students after having done their corporate legal internship programs, tend to specialize only in such kind of projects. Such people feel that there has to be somebody who will be responsible to look after those who are not represented well.
Some of the legal internships are paid while others are not. What you get is entirely a matter of luck which can later turn the other way based on your performance at the law firm. As a law graduate, you can be either placed on the legal assistant jobs or on other kind of legal assignments depending on your capabilities and legal acumen.
Legal Internship Benefits:
The journey of an advocate begins as soon as he starts doing legal internships in a law school. The amount of learning that one can obtain in a legal internship is enormous and one cannot substitute it with the knowledge learned in the law school. In the law school, one tends to learn a lot of laws and their application from a theoretical point of view. But while undergoing legal internships abroad, one is face to face with the practical and grim situations of life and the myriad complexities that one has to face while fighting a legal battle. The biggest benefit of obtaining legal summer internships is that they prepare you for the actual courtroom scenes and tricks of the legal fights that one has to endure as an attorney. It trains you how a particular law can be twisted or interpreted in many different ways to suit the purpose of the case. There are certain laws which do sound similar but are applicable to only a particular kind of scenario. Hence, undergoing summer legal internships is highly recommended and the most useful one. Here are a few benefits:
- Completion of your summer legal internship is imperative. Though at a law school, all you learn is the bookish knowledge but the practical knowledge comes from being a legal intern.
- Since you get to work with some of the most reputed law firms and attorneys in the state, your stint as a legal intern makes you run the 'tricks of the trade' of the law business. This will make you the professional that you want to be.
- At times, you might have a conflict with yourself regarding the course of actions during your legal summer internships. The time that you spend here will provide you with the solutions and key to decide what is best for you.
- Sometimes it happens that while you are being a legal intern, your performance is exemplary. In such a scenario, you might get absorbed in the law firm as an assistant after the completion of your stint in legal summer internships. It is indeed a pleasure and a matter of great opportunity if you get absorbed as an assistant to the attorney you have been helping or at any other post in the very law firm that you have been working with.
- Being in a position in a corporate legal internship program, you get to hone your skills, critical thinking process, legal acumen, writing and other research related skills. It is not mandatory to become a lawyer. You can also specialize in other departments of law.
- Being in a legal internship program, you also get to witness the civil procedure live in the courtroom. All the battles hearings, allegations and counter allegations etc are there for you to see happening right in front of your eyes. This is something that no class, teacher or any video can make you feel. Live action tends to make a lot of things and concepts of the law clear and your legal internships truly worthwhile.
Even if you are not absorbed by the law firm or are not into paid legal internships, you still have a chance of getting a letter of appreciation or recommendation outlining your stint at the firm. The letter also highlights your strengths and downplays your weaknesses. This letter is extremely beneficial as a tool to get potential employers to hire you in the future.